Are you a current or aspiring notary public in Utah seeking more flexibility and freedom (or even a boost in income) in your work life? Today, we’re covering how to become a remote online notary. We cover the steps required to become certified and how to select a reliable RON platform so you can start working remotely as quickly as possible.
What is an online notary?
An online notary is certified and equipped to notarize documents over a secure online platform rather than conducting in-person meetings with signees. Remote online notarization (RON) uses audiovisual technology, like video calls, to complete the notarization process remotely. Notaries can verify the signee’s identity and witness a document’s signing online.
This modern approach offers convenience and accessibility, especially when in-person meetings are challenging. Remote online notaries provide more flexibility and efficiency in our fast-paced world.
How to Become a Utah Notary
Follow these steps to become a notary public in Utah:
- Meet the eligibility requirements. You must be at least 18 and a U.S. citizen (or have permanent residence). You must reside in Utah or have been employed there for at least 30 days. You must also be able to read and write English.
- Head to the Lieutenant Governor’s website to create an account.
- Take a test (here’s the study guide). It costs $95, so it’s essential to study beforehand.
- Get a background check.
- Purchase a $5,000 notary bond (for $100).
- Get your Oath of Office notarized.
- Upload all application documents to your account (including the original bond and Oath of Office).
- You’ll receive your certificate of Authority of Notary Public via email if your application is accepted.
How to Become a Remote Online Notary in Utah
Once you’ve become a notary public in Utah, you can apply to become an online notary! Follow these steps.
1. Fill out an application.
Complete the Remote Notary Application (found here).
2. Find a RON vendor.
You must contract with a RON technology provider. Notary Hub is an excellent option. We cover everything you need to know about this platform in our previous article: “Become an Online Notary with Notary Hub.” ZipBonds is a trusted agent partner of Notary Hub, and we invite you to join the program using our discount of 20% off your subscription.
3. Increase your bond coverage.
You must increase your bond coverage to $10,000.
4. Get your electronic seal and signature.
These will be the supplies you use to perform remote notarizations.
5. Send in your application.
Send your application, proof of your bond, and a PDF containing your electronic seal and signature to email@example.com.
6. Pay a fee.
You’ll receive instructions for sending payment ($50) after your application has been reviewed.
7. Start performing RONs.
Once approved, you’ll officially be a “remote notary!”
Why Notary Hub?
It’s a leading RON platform that offers several advantages for online notaries, including:
- A user-friendly platform that’s easy to use for both notaries and signers
- A wide range of features, such as real-time document sharing, live video conferencing, and electronic seals
- Competitive pricing
- A strong focus on security and compliance
Notary Hub Packages
Notary Hub offers two packages: one for individuals and one for companies. Which one is right for you? Here’s how to decide:
- Individual (Self) RON Plans: You work independently, purchase your own subscription, and get paid directly by Notary Hub. In short, you call the shots of when and where you work. Notary Hub handles security, payment, and storage for you.
- Corporate RON Plans: Your company pays for your notary subscription and charges clients directly. You can add as many notaries from your company as you’d like to access the platform.
Both options offer the following features:
- Securely stored digital signatures and digital notary stamps
- 24×7 access to the platform
- Marketing to promote yourself for mobile or RON notarial opportunities
- Startup costs as low as $120
Become an Online Notary in Utah
With Notary Hub, you can provide your clients with a modern notarization experience, including secure online sessions and digital document storage. Sign up today for a 20% discount using the link below!