Are you a current or aspiring notary public in Virginia seeking more flexibility and freedom (or even a boost in income)? Today, we’re covering how to become a remote online notary. We cover the steps required to become certified and how to select a reliable RON platform so you can start working remotely as quickly as possible.
What is a remote online notary?
An online notary is certified and equipped to notarize documents over a secure online platform rather than conducting in-person meetings with signees. Remote online notarization (RON) uses audiovisual technology, like video calls, to complete the notarization process remotely. Notaries can verify the signee’s identity and witness a document’s signing online.
This modern approach offers convenience and accessibility, especially when in-person meetings are challenging. Remote online notaries provide more flexibility and efficiency in our fast-paced world.
How to Become a Notary in Virginia
To become a notary public in Virginia, follow these steps:
- Meet the prerequisites. You must be at least 18, a legal U.S. resident, able to write and read English, and a resident of Virginia (or regularly employed in-state). You may not be a convicted felon.
- Complete the application online.
- Pay a $45 application fee.
- Get your signature notarized (in Part 3).
- Send the notarized application and receipt to the Office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth.
- Find out if your application is accepted within 2-3 weeks.
- Purchase your seal.
How to Become a Mobile Notary in Virginia
Once you’ve become a notary public in Virginia, you can apply to become an online notary! Follow these steps:
1. Read the Electronic Notarization Assurance Standard.
This document includes the requirements for your electronic stamp/seal that you need to know before moving forward with the application process.
2. Submit a registration form.
Your form must include the following information:
- Full name (legal and notary)
- General description of the technology you plan to use – both for your electronic signature and notarizations
- Valid email address
- Certification of compliance to the Secretary of the Commonwealth
3. Sign the Electronic Notary Application.
You must use your electronic signature.
4. Submit your application.
Send in your application, and you will hear back via email if it’s approved. Keep in mind that you’ll need to pay a $45 application fee.
Why Notary Hub?
It’s a leading RON platform that offers several advantages for online notaries, including:
- A user-friendly platform that’s easy to use for both notaries and signers
- A wide range of features, such as real-time document sharing, live video conferencing, and electronic seals
- Competitive pricing
- A strong focus on security and compliance
Notary Hub Packages
Notary Hub offers two packages: one for individuals and one for companies. Which one is right for you? Here’s how to decide:
- Individual (Self) RON Plans: You work independently, purchase your own subscription, and get paid directly by Notary Hub. In short, you call the shots of when and where you work. Notary Hub handles security, payment, and storage for you.
- Corporate RON Plans: Your company pays for your notary subscription and charges clients directly. You can add as many notaries from your company as you’d like to access the platform.
Both options offer the following features:
- Securely stored digital signatures and digital notary stamps
- 24×7 access to the platform
- Marketing to promote yourself for mobile or RON notarial opportunities
- Startup costs as low as $120
Become an Online Notary in Virginia
With Notary Hub, you can provide your clients with a modern notarization experience, including secure online sessions and digital document storage. Sign up today for a 20% discount using the link below!