Are you a current or aspiring notary public in Ohio seeking more flexibility and freedom (or even a boost in income) in your work life? Today, we’re covering how to become a remote online notary. We cover the steps required to become certified and how to select a reliable RON platform so you can start working remotely as quickly as possible.
What is an online notary?
An online notary is certified and equipped to notarize documents over a secure online platform rather than conducting in-person meetings with signees. Remote online notarization (RON) uses audiovisual technology, like video calls, to complete the notarization process remotely. Notaries can verify the signee’s identity and witness a document’s signing online.
This modern approach offers convenience and accessibility, especially when in-person meetings are challenging. Remote online notaries provide more flexibility and efficiency in our fast-paced world.
How to Become a Traditional Notary in Ohio
Follow these steps to become a notary in Ohio. Bonus: You can do it all online! To be eligible, you must be at least 18, an Ohio resident or non-resident attorney practicing law in-state whose principal business/practice is in Ohio. You may not have any disqualifying offenses on your record, either.
- Get a criminal background check (within six months of application).
- Take a training course and pass an exam.
- Submit your application online to the Secretary of State’s Office. Applications must include a copy of your criminal record check, a certificate from your education provider, an image of your signature, and a $15 fee.
- Receive your commission via email.
- Purchase a Notary stamp to begin work as an Ohio notary public!
How to Become an Online Notary in Ohio
Once you’ve become a notary public, you can apply to become an online notary in Ohio. Follow these steps.
1. Take an online notary class.
In Ohio, you must take a two-hour training course and pass an exam to become an online notary.
2. Find a state-approved RON technology provider.
Notary Hub is an excellent option. We cover everything you need to know about this platform in our previous article: “Become an Online Notary with Notary Hub.”
ZipBonds is a trusted agent partner of Notary Hub, and we invite you to join the program using our discount of 20% off your subscription.
3. Complete an online application.
Apply on the Ohio Secretary of State website. You’ll upload PDFs of your training course and exam certificate and pay a $20 fee.
Why Notary Hub?
Notary Hub is a leading RON platform that offers several advantages for online notaries, including:
- A user-friendly platform that’s easy to use for both notaries and signers
- A wide range of features, such as real-time document sharing, live video conferencing, and electronic seals
- Competitive pricing
- A strong focus on security and compliance
Notary Hub Packages
This platform offers two packages: one for individuals and one for companies. Which one is right for you? Here’s how to decide:
- Individual (Self) RON Plans: You work independently, purchase your own subscription, and get paid directly by Notary Hub. In short, you call the shots of when and where you work. Notary Hub handles security, payment, and storage for you.
- Corporate RON Plans: Your company pays for your notary subscription and charges clients directly. You can add as many notaries from your company as you’d like to access the platform.
Both options offer the following features:
- Securely stored digital signatures and digital notary stamps
- 24×7 access to the platform
- Marketing to promote yourself for mobile or RON notarial opportunities
- Startup costs as low as $120
Become a Remote Online Notary in Ohio
With Notary Hub, you can provide your clients a modern notarization experience, including secure online sessions and digital document storage. Sign up today for a 20% discount using the link below!