Are you a current or aspiring notary public in Tennessee seeking more flexibility and freedom (or even a boost in income) in your work life? Today, we’re covering how to become a remote online notary. We cover the steps required to become certified and how to select a reliable RON platform so you can start working remotely as quickly as possible.
What is an online notary?
An online notary is certified and equipped to notarize documents over a secure online platform rather than conducting in-person meetings with signees. Remote online notarization (RON) uses audiovisual technology, like video calls, to complete the notarization process remotely. Notaries can verify the signee’s identity and witness a document’s signing online.
This modern approach offers convenience and accessibility, especially when in-person meetings are challenging. Remote online notaries provide more flexibility and efficiency in our fast-paced world.
How to Become a Notary in TN
To become a notary public in Tennessee, follow these steps.
- Meet eligibility requirements. (You must be at least 18, a resident of Tennessee, a citizen or legal permanent U.S. resident, able to read and write English, and not convicted of various offenses.)
- Complete an application from the County Clerk’s office.
- Submit your application with a $12 fee.
- Obtain a $10,000 surety bond. Then provide proof of your bond to the County Clerk. You’ll also need to take your oath of office.
- Pick up your notary commission certificate at the County Clerk’s office.
- Get your notary seal and journal.
How to Become an Online Notary in Tennessee
Once you’ve become a notary public, you can apply to become a remote online notary! Here’s how.
1. Review statutes and rules.
The Online Notary Public Act explains the duties and responsibilities of remote online notaries in Tennessee and how to apply.
2. Contract with a state-approved technology provider.
Notary Hub is an excellent option. We cover everything you need to know about this platform in our previous article: “Become an Online Notary with Notary Hub.” ZipBonds is a trusted agent partner of Notary Hub, and we invite you to join the program using our discount of 20% off your subscription!
You must complete this step before applying to become an online notary.
3. Gather materials from your vendor.
Along with your application, you must provide various information about your technology vendor. (See Step 4 on the Secretary of State’s website for details.)
4. Apply with the Tennessee Secretary of State.
You can apply and send your $75 application fee online.
5. Receive your commission.
Once your application is approved, you should receive your commission, which expires the same day as your existing notary public commission.
Why Notary Hub?
Notary Hub is a leading RON platform that offers several advantages for online notaries, including:
- A user-friendly platform that’s easy to use for both notaries and signers
- A wide range of features, such as real-time document sharing, live video conferencing, and electronic seals
- Competitive pricing
- A strong focus on security and compliance
Notary Hub Packages
This platform offers two packages: one for individuals and one for companies. Which one is right for you? Here’s how to decide:
- Individual (Self) RON Plans: You work independently, purchase your own subscription, and get paid directly by Notary Hub. In short, you call the shots of when and where you work. Notary Hub handles security, payment, and storage for you.
- Corporate RON Plans: Your company pays for your notary subscription and charges clients directly. You can add as many notaries from your company as you’d like to access the platform.
Both options offer the following features:
- Securely stored digital signatures and digital notary stamps
- 24×7 access to the platform
- Marketing to promote yourself for mobile or RON notarial opportunities
- Startup costs as low as $120
Become a Remote Online Notary in TN
With Notary Hub, you can provide your clients a modern notarization experience, including secure online sessions and digital document storage. Sign up today for a 20% discount using the link below!