New York City Home Improvement Contractor License Bond

Home » Types of Surety Bonds » License and Permit Bonds » Contractor License Bond » New York Contractor License Bond » New York City Contractor License Bond
Licensed and bonded contractor in New York City NY

Who needs a home improvement contractor bond in New York City?

All individual contractors and businesses must obtain a Home Improvement Contractor license to perform the following work on residential land or a building:

  • Construction
  • Repair
  • Remodeling
  • Other home improvement work

Each of these contractors must either enroll in the DCWP Trust Fund ($200 fee) or post a $20,000 surety bond. 

Registered contractors must also provide the following:

  • A completed license application
  • A license fee (variable – see page 8 of the home improvement contractor license packet)
  • Worker’s compensation insurance information
  • Proof of U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) certification and/or a signed affirmation
  • A completed contractual compliance agreement
  • A home improvement exam and payment for a $50 exam fee
  • The fingerprints and processing fee (see page 7 of the packet)
  • The Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (if applicable)

Complete requirements and detailed instructions can be found in the home improvement contractor license packet provided by New York City. 

Need help? Give us a call at (888) 435-4191 to speak with an agent. You can also check out our page on New York contractor bonds for state-specific information.

Get Your NYC Contractor License Bond:

How does a home improvement contractor license bond work?

A contractor bond gives clients a guarantee that they’ll receive satisfactory work from their contractors. By signing the bond, contractors agree to work by the standards and regulations of the obligee (New York City). 

Clients can file a claim for damages if a contractor fails to meet any stipulation of the agreement. The surety initially pays out approved claims to clients, but contractors must ultimately pay back all approved claims against them.

You’ll pay a premium – a percentage of the penal sum – to obtain your bond. ZipBonds can often process your bond the same day as filing, and premiums start as low as $100.

Frequently Asked Questions

You will often only need one license bond if you choose not to enroll in the DCWP Trust Fund as a home improvement contractor in New York City. You can verify your bond requirements with the NYC Consumer and Worker Protection Department.

Bonds typically last for one-year terms. Your renewal date will be listed on your completed bond form. Ensure that your registration, bond, and insurance remain updated to maintain compliance in your location.

Apply for your Contractor Bond in New York City, NY

ZipBonds offers the fastest and most secure option for getting bonded. Our all-digital platform is intuitive and straightforward. Apply online, email or call 888.435.4191 to speak with an agent directly.



Founders Ryan Swalve and Zach Mefferd formed the vision for when they realized how overly complicated it was to help clients place surety. The frustration of being unable to incorporate the technology they’d used in other insurance-focused projects left them thinking “there has to be a better way.”

Fast forward a couple of years, and that better way is the impetus of everything we do at ZipBonds. We constantly look for innovative ways to improve the bonding process for our clients and agents. Our team comprises individuals who understand all angles of surety – for companies, agencies, and individuals. Incorporating everyone’s point of view to improve the process while simultaneously integrating cutting-edge technology is what sets our business apart.