Montana Bonded Title

Home » Types of Surety Bonds » License and Permit Bonds » Certificate of Title Bonds » Montana Bonded Title

What is a bonded title in Montana?

A Montana bonded title is a certificate of title with a surety bond (title bond) attached. This certificate proves you own your vehicle – even though you don’t have the original car title. With a bonded title, you can register, insure, and sell your car in Montana.

How does a Montana bonded title work?

If you’re a Montana resident and your car title has been lost or stolen or you never received one from the previous owner, the Department of Justice may require you to obtain a “break/bond title” (also known as a bonded title).

The surety bond attached to the certificate of title protects previous and future owners, lienholders, and other parties with interests in your vehicle. If you breach the conditions of the bond (e.g., if you’re not the real owner) harmed parties may file a claim against you. If the claim is legitimate, your surety will cover the costs to settle the claim. You must then repay them in full.

Get Your Montana Title Bond:

Quick Takeaways

  • A Montana bonded title is a certificate of title – proving you own your car – with a surety bond attached.
  • If you’re a Montana resident and your car title has been lost or stolen, the Department of Justice may require you to obtain a “break/bond title.”
  • Montana title surety bonds are quickly issued, typically cost around $100, and must remain active for three years.

Who needs a Montana bonded title?

If you lost your original title before it was issued in your name, the title was improperly assigned to you, or you never received a title in the first place, you may be qualified to apply for a bonded title in Montana. Your vehicle must be worth over $500 to be eligible.

If you had the original title in your name at any point but lost it, you can apply for a duplicate certificate of title instead. Contact your local Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) to determine which type of title you’re eligible for.

How to Get a Montana Bonded Title

Follow these instructions to obtain a title bond from a surety provider like ZipBonds and a certificate of title from the Montana MVD.

1. Have your car inspected.

A law enforcement officer must complete a Vehicle Identification Number Inspection Certificate for you. You’ll submit this document with your application.

2. Run a vehicle record search.

Ask your MVD to search your vehicle records using your VIN. That way, you’ll learn if someone else owns your vehicle (has the title) or if any liens exist.

If someone else has the title, you must contact them by certified mail and ask them to sign the title over to you. If they do, you won’t need a bonded title.

If there’s a lien against your vehicle, you must request a release. Complete “Montana Security Interest Processing: New” – Form MV81B. There’s an $8.24 fee for each lien or security interest.

3. Provide proof of ownership.

If you have a canceled check, purchase invoice, or notarized bill of sale for your vehicle, include it in your application.

4. Apply for a title bond.

Fill out the Application for Break/Bond Title (simply click the form at the bottom of this page to begin the application for Montana residents).

Before you apply, make sure you have this information on hand:

  • Vehicle value (according to NADA): You should include a copy of the NADA guide that shows your vehicle’s current value.
  • The circumstances that explain how you came to own your vehicle
  • Security interests (liens) disclosure – if applicable

Your title bond must be equal to the value of your car. For example, if your vehicle is worth $1,500, you will need a $1,500 title bond.

5. Submit your application.

Include all the documents mentioned above in your application. If you need license plates, you must submit your application to your county treasurer’s office, along with any applicable fees. If you don’t need license plates, you can return your application to the vehicle services bureau or your county treasurer’s office.

Once your application is reviewed and accepted, you will receive a certificate labeled “Bonded Title.” The title will remain active for three years, and then you may apply for a standard certificate of title. Simply return your bonded title.

How much does it cost to get a bonded title in Montana?

Montana title bonds are quickly issued, typically cost around $100, and have a 3-year bond period. After the bond expires, there is no requirement for the bond. You will be eligible for a standard certificate of title.

Get a Title Bond in Montana

The experts at ZipBonds can help you obtain the bond you need. To connect with one of our team members, please give us a call at 888-435-4191 or email us at We’ll walk you through the process for title bonds to help you get bonded in a flash.



Founders Ryan Swalve and Zach Mefferd formed the vision for when they realized how overly complicated it was to help clients place surety. The frustration of being unable to incorporate the technology they’d used in other insurance-focused projects left them thinking “there has to be a better way.”

Fast forward a couple of years, and that better way is the impetus of everything we do at ZipBonds. We constantly look for innovative ways to improve the bonding process for our clients and agents. Our team comprises individuals who understand all angles of surety – for companies, agencies, and individuals. Incorporating everyone’s point of view to improve the process while simultaneously integrating cutting-edge technology is what sets our business apart.