What is a Texas superheavy or oversize permit bond?
A Texas superheavy or oversize permit bond protects the public from damage caused by the operation of large vehicles on Texas roads. The bond ensures that the permit holder will be financially responsible for any damages caused by their vehicle. The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles requires this bond of any carrier transporting an oversize or overweight load in the state.
Get Your Superheavy or Oversize Permit Bond:
- A Texas superheavy or oversize permit bond protects the public from damage caused by the operation of large vehicles on Texas roads.
- In general, the bond cost ranges from $100 to $1,000, or 1-10% of the $10,000 bond.
- If the carrier fails to comply with state laws and regulations related to oversize or overweight loads, the harmed party can file a claim against the bond for compensation.
How much does a Texas superheavy or oversize bond cost?
The cost of this permit bond varies depending on the weight and dimensions of the vehicle, as well as the length of time the permit is needed. In general, the bond cost ranges from $100 to $1,000, or 1-10% of the $10,000 bond.
ZipBonds can issue these bonds instantly for $100. Apply online!
How does a superheavy or oversize permit bond work?
This bond is a contract between the carrier (principal), the surety company providing the bond, and the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (obligee). If the carrier fails to comply with state laws and regulations related to oversize or overweight loads, the harmed party can file a claim against the bond for compensation. If the claim is valid after investigation, the surety will pay out the claim up to the total amount of the bond to cover any damages or fees owed.
Who needs this bond in TX?
Any carrier that is driving an oversize/overweight vehicle or transporting an oversize or overweight load on Texas roads must obtain a permit and may need a bond. This includes carriers operating within the state and those passing through the state with an oversized or overweight load. See the TxDMV website for more specific information.
How to Apply for Your Oversize Permit Bond
To apply for a Texas Superheavy or Oversize Permit Bond, you can fill out the online application with ZipBonds or follow these steps:
- Go to the TxDOT website and download the application form.
- Complete the application form and provide all the required documentation. Your bond must be issued and signed by a resident Texas agent or non-resident agent with a valid Texas insurance license. Your bond must have a seal of power attorney, be signed by an authorized person from the company that requires the bond, and include your company’s name and address.
- Pay the bond premium.
- Submit the application form and payment to TxDMV. Fax the completed original bond to (512) 465-4251 and then mail it immediately to the following address: TxDMV Attn: MCD-Permits, 4000 Jackson Avenue, Austin, TX 78731
Once your application is approved, TxDOT will issue you a permit and bond. You must carry the permit and bond when operating your vehicle on Texas roads. Renew your bond annually by August 31 to continue driving your vehicle legally in the state.
Get a Superheavy or Oversize Permit Bond in Texas
ZipBonds offers the fastest and most secure option for getting the surety bonds you need. Our all-digital platform is intuitive and straightforward. Apply online or call us at (888) 435-4191 to speak with an agent. Most of our bonds are approved and processed immediately from our site.
Founders Ryan Swalve and Zach Mefferd formed the vision for ZipBonds.com when they realized how overly complicated it was to help clients place surety. The frustration of being unable to incorporate the technology they’d used in other insurance-focused projects left them thinking “there has to be a better way.”
Fast forward a couple of years, and that better way is the impetus of everything we do at ZipBonds. We constantly look for innovative ways to improve the bonding process for our clients and agents. Our team comprises individuals who understand all angles of surety – for companies, agencies, and individuals. Incorporating everyone’s point of view to improve the process while simultaneously integrating cutting-edge technology is what sets our business apart.